With an abundance of world class waves in the region this surf adventure will reward those who seek uncrowded perfection.
Nomad is a classic traditional 60ft sailing Phinisi. Purpose built for surf charters alongside her sister ship the Mangalui. With legendry skipper / surf guide Todd Roesler at the helm and in constant communication with the Mangalui you will be in the best possible hands.
Nomad has a capacity for 9 surfers.
Profile on Nomad owner/operator Todd Roesler.
Todd spent 1989 hanging in Bali and Java and the in the Early 90′s roughed it throughout North and West Sumatra, surfing and discovering.
Todd did several trips with Moose (expat Kiwi Indo veteran) from Nias to the Mentawais before the charter industry in Sumatra kicked off.
In the mid 90′s Todd, helped Matt Cruden and Greg Spindler build the famous charter boat ‘Mangalui Ndulu’ in Sulewesi and after delivering the Mangalui to Sumatra with Matt Cruden he went back to Sulewesi and built the ‘Nomad’. After another year or so in Sulewesi, Todd set sail on ‘Nomad’ on a big surf and search trip to Sumatra via Sumba, Sumbawa, Lombok and Java. He didn’t get past West Java however. He loved the waves of Panaitan island and married a local javanese woman. Todd and Nomad have spent the last decade running charters in West Java.
A decade later the Nomad is venturing into the Sumatran waters for a new adventure.
Todd has completed his international skippers tickets Master 5 and MED II in 2004. His crew have been with him many years – Kadir, Habibi and Agus and know the needs of travelling surfers.
- Fishing gear/Snorkelling gear
All trips start and finish in Padang and are either a 11 or 14 night voyage to the best waves in the Mentawais and Telo Islands. At the start of the trip Todd will give you a run down of the surf conditions and from there your group can decide the best breaks to head for.
- Vessel type – Timber sloop
- Length – 18 metres / 60 ft
- Year built – 1995
- Speed cruising – 8 knots
- Range – 800nm
- Power – 220 HP Mitsubishi main 8 KVA Genset 240/v / 50Hz
- Tender – Aluminium speed boat
- Facilities – Air Conditioner, refrdgerator & freezer
- Safety equipment – 15 person liferaft, EPIRB life jackets, lifering flares
- Accommodation – Bunks for 10 guests
- Communication – Satellite phone, ICOM HF radio, ICOM, VHF radio, ICOM handheld VHF radio
- Navigational aids – Garmin GPS FURUNO radar, RAYTHEON depth sounder
- Entertainment – TV, WHS/DVD player, CD stereo, fishing & snorkelling gear